Friday, December 9, 2011

Fragmented self

I am one person but several selves. This was something that was hard for me to accept for many years. I am the gentle self that loves peace and wants everyone around me to live happy lives. I am also the self that has fought martial arts for many years and has never backed down from a fight. I am in one undivided person a peaceful man who is punching someone else in the face. Now the truth is now that I am more peace with myself I find myself less likely to punch someone but when threatened that self still comes out. This is something that can torture someone who is introverted. Unrelenting study of oneself is a dangerous thing. We start dissecting these selves. We find the ways that they conflict and try to rectify them. Kochan does the same thing. He takes the person he wants to be and pushes that self forward. But his unrelenting examination of his other selves is what drives them apart we see a greater divergence in his personality and he eventually has a great split between his "self" and his "mask" I think that both of these characters are equally the same person but the stress that Koch an puts on them puts them at odds with one another and I feel worsens His mental state.so my question is what if he had just accepted all parts of himself? What would happen then?

1 comment:

  1. I really find it interesting what you said about how dangerous it can be to spend so much time dissecting our selves. You say, “Unrelenting study of oneself is a dangerous thing.” As much time as we have spent trying to somehow figure out why the narrator is thinking what he is thinking and how we can interpret it, it is seems as though we need to step back and see the danger in trying to completely understand ourselves (or him). In examining himself so deeply you mention that he “eventually has a great split between his "self" and his "mask"”. There is a point that it is really harmful to figure out the exact meanings of all our actions. We begin to dissect everything before us, and we are stealing away from ourselves the freedom to simply enjoy our lives. Should we become comfortable with who we see ourselves to be from fist thought (sight) or should we dig deeper into our thoughts, actions, and subconscious? I do not know what I think of this all, but I do think it can go too far when we spend so much time dissecting ourselves (and even MORE time dissecting his life) ☺

    ReplyDelete